Establish a program and supporting structure to engage with military members to promote PMI, the chapter, the community, and the benefits they provide.
North Carolina is home to 10 military installations of various sizes. As of 2015, there are approximately:
- 135,600 active military
- 144,500 retired military
- 25,000 civilian employees
With a large number of military members in North Carolina, coupled with a Reduction in Forces (RIF) over the next 5 years, the number of military members looking for work upon separation will increase.
For more information about our Military Outreach Program, please contact: Director-Military@pmicarolina.org.
Military Outreach Mentees
There are three primary audiences this program must address:
- Active duty, guard, and reserve
- Separating and retired
For active duty audiences, our focus will include:
- PM Training
- Application Preparation
- Certification / Test Prep
- TAPS participation
For separating and retired audiences, we will focus on:
- Certification Training
- Job search skills
- Job searching via networking and Skillfest-like events
You will have unlimited access to your Mentor and access to our PMI Carolina Bootcamp Linked In Chat.
NOTE: Members of PMI.org are eligible for FREE membership to PMI Carolina chapter – just provide you name, email address, and PMI ID # to Director-Military@pmicarolina.org.
Military Outreach Mentors
Military Mentor Program (download of Metrolina Military Mentor Program doc) - here
Establish a mentoring program to assist Active Duty Military, Veterans, Reservists, Guard in transition or with post transition from military to civilian life.
Active Military, Veterans*, Guard, Reserve, Retirees , & Spouses from ALL BRANCHES of Service
*Veterans that have been in Project Management as a civilian may be referred to the Chapter’s Mentorship program dependent upon the mentoring requested.
Includes PMI members and non-members. NOTE: Members of PMI.org are eligible for FREE membership to PMI Carolina Chapter – just provide you name, email address, and PMI ID # to Director-Military@pmicarolina.org.
Military Outreach Mentors received:
- Training by our organization to facilitate you in this role
- Polo & nametag for wear at events and training
- Free or reduced pricing for all PMI-Metrolina events and training
- Opportunities to attend national Military Liaison team meetings
- Leadership roles available within the group after 1 year of service as a liaison
- Attendance at events local to Charlotte, Ft. Bragg/Pope AFB, Camp Lejeune, Jacksonville, Cherry Pt.
Military Mentoring Role includes:
- Assistance with completing PMI certification applications
- Recommendations on resources for Certificate Preparation/training
- Transition assistance (resume review, interview skills, networking)
- Sharing of resources and 3rd party connections as applicable for education, job search, & moves
Military Mentoring will NOT include:
- Career advice for existing project managers (refer to Chapter program - Professional Development)